Search this blog

Monday, March 31, 2008

Get Relief from your Messy Desktop

One of the big problems I face is the Desktop. My desktop was so terribly messy that last week I lost some of my files and I am still searching for it :(. Can you imagine, that even the best wallpaper could not save my desktop from looking ugly, no matter how beautiful it is, because its just not visible. Then I decided to use a freeware, but I was unable to find any, that met my requirements. I then put up all my data into different folders, but again, creating a mess. Accessing it regularly, and opening folders, browsing through them, its tiring.
To this, I found a solution which was much easier. I created a folder, and put all the data in the respective subfolders. This folder was then kept in one of my drives, and it was accessed from the taskbar. How? let me tell you that.

  • Right click on “TaskBar“, go to “Toolbars“, and click “New Toolbar…“
  • There you will see a window to select the folder. Just browse to the folder, and select it.
  • You will see a Toolbar to access the contents of this folder.
I must tell you, this has really changed the way I used to work, apart from this, my system booting speed has improved.
Another way my friend advised me was to create shortcuts and access them through Run command. This is how you can perform this.

  1. Create a shortcut on the desktop for the folder to be accessed
  2. Rename it to a simple and short name, according to your requirements.
  3. Cut and paste that shortcut in “c:/windows”, where c: drive is the Drive in which OS is installed.
  4. Now go to run, type in the name of the folder you gave, and it should be in front of you.
I personally prefer the first method, as you have files in front of you, and any one selected file can be opened as well. But do try these, if you face the same problem as I do, and I hope I don’t loose files like this in future :).

No comments: