Search this blog

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Make Folder A Drive In My Computer

There are several methods to make a drive in My Computer. I will list a few of them.

Method 1 - Map Network Drive

1- Right Click the folder you want to make a drive. Go to Properties –> Sharing.
Share the folder with a name.

2- Go to My Computer –> Tools –> Map Network Drive.
Select the Drive letter and browse to the folder which you shared.

networkDrive

Method 2 - Using subst command

Open Command Prompt (type cmd in Run) and type the following commands to create the folder as a drive in My Computer

SUBST [drive1: [drive2:]path]

For Example if I want to create a drive of C:\Windows and the drive name is W. Then I will use the following command:

subst W: C:\Windows

For more options type subst /?

The problem with this method is that it is temporary. If you restart your computer, all the virtual drives will be gone. You need to write a batch script and put it in your startup to make the changes permanent.

Method 3 - Using Software

There is a small handy utility which does all the work which subst command does. It also lets you keep the drives as permanent even when you’re restarting. It’s name is Virtual Drive Manager.

Make Folder A Drive In My Computer

No comments: